Tuesday, January 18, 2011

She Shoots, She Scores!!!

This last Saturday I had the parental privilege of watching my daughter play her first basketball game of the season. Let me start by saying that the last two years have not really been basketball, more of a lets chase each other on the court and throw a ball around. This year she is on the 3rd & 4th grade team and has real basketball rules to follow.

Watching her line up against the other team (they still have to play man to man), I was signaling (moms you know what this means) to her to stop biting her nails. Then it hit me, she is really nervous for this game. I decided to have the talk about how it’s just for fun and it really doesn’t matter. Just learn the game and have fun. She was good then.

I was not good however. I always told myself I would not be one of those moms yelling on the side at their child to do this and do that. Well people I was and it was BAD. Jay happened to be videotaping the game, after listening to myself I was horrified, and poor Jera. She was probably very confused, here is her mom yelling at her and just a moment ago I told her it was all about having fun. We were sitting by Russell Halverson, whom has a daughter on the team. I kept asking him questions about her skills and abilities. What she should know and be doing. Please remember that he is also the varsity girls coach. He would politely answer me; now after looking back I can only image what he was thinking about me.

One thing he did say will stick with me on my journey through the next many years of competitive sports. “Don’t say anything during that game, just cheer her on.” From now on I will be reminding myself if this quote and that it is just for fun!!!

PS. She did make one basket and was very proud and excited!!!

1 comment:

  1. haha...it's easier said than done, huh? I want to see pictures! I am looking forward to coming and cheering her on at her next game.

    ReplyDelete