Monday, January 10, 2011

WHY I LOVE BEING A TEACHER

Never in my childhood or early adult life did I believe I would become a teacher. When telling my testimony to my students the other day about how I became a teacher; I decided to write down a few reasons why I love what I am doing.

In no particular order:
•The "a-ha" moment the students have when learning. They are priceless to watch.
•Sense of accomplishment, I feel everyday that I am making a difference.
•June, July, August (seriously)
•Lots of laughs and fun with the kids, celebrating holidays, birthdays, field trips, etc.
•Snow days - can't think of many jobs that call you while you're still in bed and say, "stay home, it's too dangerous to come to work."
•Exposure to lots of different types of children with lots of different perspectives on this world
•Can stay as late as you need or leave right away – The school day doesn’t end for a teacher when the bell rings. There is usually papers to be grade, lesson plan, etc., but it can end on time every once in a while when you really want to go home.
•Reward Progress – It may be bribery, but bribery tastes good sometimes.
•Have a Daily Adventure – No one knows what the day shall bring.
•Share in Special Moments – Students love to tell you about their live, accomplishments and just about anything else.
•Student made gifts – The best gift a teacher can receive is a heartfelt card written by a student.
•Valuing the Individual – A teacher is given the opportunity to prove why each and every child is special and has something to contribute.

PS. Another day, I will tell you my testimony on how and why I became a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Derek says you are his favorite teacher in the elementary! Can't wait to hear your testimony.

    ReplyDelete